As a pool company that works in and around inground pools every day, we know a thing or two about swimming pool safety. As swimming pool builders, we feel it is part of our responsibility to educate new pool owners about how to keep their family and their guests safe from accidental drowning or injury.
If you’ve ever been to a public pool or commercial swimming pool, you’ve probably seen signs posted for swimming pool rules. The rules are essentially the same for your personal pool, with some additional tips below for the homeowner.
- Install a pool fence with a lock, as well as a pool alarm and safety cover to close the pool when it is not in use.
- Clean up and store pool toys when not in use. Colorful toys may attract a child to try and get access to the pool.
- Keep riding and wheeled toys way from the pool.
- Maintain proper pool chemistry so you can always see the bottom of the pool.
- Have a phone nearby in case of emergency.
- Make sure someone in the family is CPR certified
- Provide swimming lessons for anyone over age 4
- Lock away and store pool chemicals
- Children under 5 years old SHOULD ALWAYS BE SUPERVISED IN THE POOL BY AN ADULT. Older children may be supervised from the pool deck.
- No running on the pool deck
- Always swim with a buddy
- No diving off the side of the pool
- Know how to dive properly off the diving board if there is one
- Go over the pool rules with guests
Take the Pool Safety Pledge!
If you’re looking for a pool company in the greater Baltimore County area, we’d be happy to provide you with a detailed estimate on your new inground pool. We build both concrete pools and vinyl pools, and as a full service pool company, we offer pool repairs, pool maintenance, pool supplies and more. Call us today at 410-598-9740.